2012年5月3日木曜日

The Picture of Dorian Gray

     Last day, I learned about “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wild.  I had known Oscar Wild before, but I read his story for the first time.  He wrote many stories like “The Happy Prince” and “Salome”.  Though I don’t know about these stories, I know only the titles.  What I thought reading chapter one of the story, “The Picture of Dorian Gray” is dark image whole the story.
              In the chapter one, his writing is very skillful.  As I learned in Integrated Skills class, there are some sentences which have similar structure: for example, “there have been either so many people that I have not been able to see the pictures, which was dreadful, or so many pictures that I have not been able to see the people, which were worse”.  I felt it was even very difficult for people whose mother tongue is English to write such a skillful sentence.
              In this story, he wrote interesting comments about beauty.  For example, “beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins.  Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face.”  In his other works, he left so many interesting words that there are some Web pages about his quotes.  The most impressive quote is “fashion is what one wears oneself.  What unfashionable is what other people wear” (An Ideal Husband).  Besides this, I found many interesting words which I can never come upon.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Wilde's sayings make you think, don't they. He must have been a very clever person.

    DC

    返信削除